FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
01. What is NL-19®?
NL-19® is a proprietary surface treatment that FOREVERBOLT has an exclusive partnership with. NL-19® surface treatment alters the surface by removing the free iron and the imparted impurities during manufacturing.... The net gain is NL-19® surface treatment when applied will prevent stainless steel from corroding.... NL-19® surface treatment creates a boundary layer against the elements, thus resulting in less surface contamination which means less maintenance.
02. I thought stainless steel doesn't rust.
All Stainless steel will corrode at some point. Our NL-19®surface treatment will dramatically decrease the possibility or corrosion.
03. If you bend or form the material are you exposing the outside area to more corrosion?
There will be some slight exposure, but nothing significant.
04. Now in the field if the surface gets damaged or scratched what can you do?
If the raw materials are scratched or damaged they will be exposed to the environment, they will have to be processed again. There is currently no way to reprocess in in the field. However, we ensure minimum damage while in transit.
05. Who’s your competition and what is the cost?
Currently there is no competition and the cost varies based on the project size and per piece count. Typically the cost is 100 to 200 percent higher than non-treated stainless steel.
06. Is your process an all chemical process?
There are some chemical steps in the process, but there are also a variety of other “proprietary” steps involved in creating a final product. In total it is a complicated 19 step process that we have developed over 20 years. We profess that we are making a truly green product.
07. Have you had any failures?
The product is guaranteed for life, (see disclaimer) provided there is no damage to the fasteners through poor installation methods.... There have not been any reported failures in the past 20 years of using this process or early iterations of the process.
08. What’s the cure time?
Once the process is complete it is done, there is no cure time.
09. Is your process chemically inert?
The process is totally inert. And we have preformed many tests, even out gassing is nonexistent.
10. Does it bleed or leech into the environment?
The process is completely clean and nothing will leach into the environment.
11. Does your process ever get stripped from the surface say when you’re tightening a nut?
Galling will happen if the fastener is over torqued, however this process will reduce the galling significantly. By adding white lithium grease or WD-40 it will help considerably.
12. So do you have to use any spray lubricant?
It is not mandatory, but can be used to significantly reduce galling.
13. Does NL-19® affect the adhesion properties with regard to concrete…
We have not seen any advantage or disadvantage to using NL-19® with rebar and concrete.
14. Does your product work on couplers?
As long as it is a stainless steel product, yes NL-19® can be applied
15. Can your product be applied in the field?
No, it has to be processed in house.
16. Will you have any options for colorization or sheen?
It can be powder coated or painted like any other metal surface at an additional cost.
17. Will powder-coating make it last longer?
This is a loaded question because power-coating is a process that needs to be controlled and done correctly. This is also conditional to the application and preparation to the surface prior to power coating....
18. Can it be brushed?
Yes, NL-19® surfaces can be brushed with Scotch Bright or a similar type of scuffing material. Do not use steel wool, it will impart contaminates which will contaminate the processed surface.